Last updated on June 23rd, 2019 at 04:55 pm
Definition – What does Toolbox Talk mean?
A toolbox talk is an informal safety meeting that is part of an organization’s overall safety program. Toolbox meetings are generally conducted at the job site prior to the commencement of a job or work shift. A toolbox talk covers special topics on safety aspects related to the specific job. Meetings are normally short in duration and cover topics such as work related workplace hazards,& safe work practices. It is one of the very effective methods to refresh workers’ knowledge, cover last minute safety checks, and exchange information with the experienced workers. Toolbox talks/meetings are sometimes referred to as tailgate meetings or safety briefings
Explains Toolbox Talk
Toolbox talks promote the awareness of safety issues in the forefront. A toolbox talk may have the following impacts:
- Promotes safety awareness. Workers get actively involved in safety matters and reduce safety risks.
- Introduces workers to new safety rules, equipment, preventive practices and motivates workers to follow standard operating procedures.
- Provides vital information to the workers on accident causes types and preventive actions.
- Emphasizes planning, preparation, supervision, and documentation.
- Helps when reviewing new laws or industry standards, company policies and procedures.
- Encourages workers to discuss their experiences that help to review safety procedures in future.
Following are the salient features of a toolbox talks:
- Following are the salient features of a toolbox talks:
- Should be scheduled at the beginning of the work shift.
- Meeting should be done at the job site.
- Duration should be approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Discussion and review of the previous meetings to be done as reminder.
- Discussion on the current task to be done.
- Discussion on the safety issues including environment, hazards, use of personnel protective equipment, first aid and medical support and emergency procedures.
- Worker participation is to be encouraged.
- There may be review and recapitulation with quiz or test
The following different topics discussed more about tool box talk:
- Confined space
- Fall protection
- Power tools